Setting flapping state via external command

John P. Rouillard rouilj at cs.umb.edu
Tue Oct 11 04:16:27 CEST 2005

Andreas Ericsson wrote:
>John P. Rouillard wrote:
>> While I like the concept behind nagios's flap detection, I have to
>> wonder if anybody besides me thought it would be a good idea to be
>> able to use an external command (e.g. SEC the simple event correlator)
>> to set the state of a service or host to flapping and clear it again?
>>
>> This would allow much finer grained control over flapping
>> determination e.g. you could look at the last 22 states or the last 10
>> states for flap detection rather than at nagios's default of 21.  You
>> could also change flap detection depending on time of day, the state
>> of the rest of the network etc. and allow adaptive flap detection.
>
>There is no such mechanism in place today. A NEB-module might be able to
>help you there though and shouldn't be too hard to write so long as you
>keep it fairly small and make sure it's stateless (creating threads in
>modules can wreak some fairly serious havok on nagios due to certain
>global variables being initialized more than once).

Hmm, I always thought of a NEB module as a way of getting information
from the nagios core into other applications. E.G. events/status info
into a database, or report the flapping event to an external
program. What I want to do is call:

    set_service_flap()
    clear_service_flap()

   and

    set_host_flap()
    clear_host_flap()

from base/flapping.c when an external program identifies a flapping
state. I can see how a NEB module would be useful in feeding the
external program with alerts/events. So am I misunderstanding the
abilities of the NEB module?

				-- rouilj
John Rouillard