getting error while starting the nagios service on FC3

Rob Moss robmossrm at aol.com
Mon Oct 10 15:26:07 CEST 2005

ankush grover wrote:

> I created some files like
> hostgroups.cfg,hosts.cfg,services.cfg,contact.cfg and
> contactgroups.cfg.But when I tried to start the nagios service it gave
> me error.Then I tried to start with this command nagios -v
> /etc/nagios/nagios.cfg it gave me this error.

[snip]

> Error: Invalid hostgroup object directive 'contact_groups'.
> Error: Could not add object property in file
> '/etc/nagios/hostgroups.cfg' on line 4.

Did you check the hostgroup object directive 'contact_groups' in your
file '/etc/nagios/hostgroups.cfg' on line 4?

You seem to be using a "contact_groups" directive in the wrong place.

Read this page for the format
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/2_0/xodtemplate.html#hostgroup

And for good measure, read and bookmark this too
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/2_0/xodtemplate.html#contact

> I am very new to nagios.

That much is certain, however you should make attempts at reading the
error message(s), investigating the problem yourself and searching
previous list postings before posting to the list.

rob