getting error while starting the nagios service on FC3

ankush grover ankushgrover1711 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 13:47:07 CEST 2005

hey friends,

I created some files like hostgroups.cfg,hosts.cfg,services.cfg,contact.cfgand
contactgroups.cfg.But when I tried to start the nagios service it gave me
error.Then I tried to start with this command nagios -v
/etc/nagios/nagios.cfg it gave me this error.

Nagios 2.0b4
Copyright (c) 1999-2005 Ethan Galstad (http://www.nagios.org)
Last Modified: 08-02-2005
License: GPL

Reading configuration data...

Error: Invalid hostgroup object directive 'contact_groups'.
Error: Could not add object property in file '/etc/nagios/hostgroups.cfg' on
line 4.

***> One or more problems was encountered while processing the config
files...

Check your configuration file(s) to ensure that they contain valid
directives and data defintions. If you are upgrading from a previous
version of Nagios, you should be aware that some variables/definitions
may have been removed or modified in this version. Make sure to read
the HTML documentation regarding the config files, as well as the
'Whats New' section to find out what has changed.

I am using Fedora Core 3 both firewall and SELinux are disabled on my pc.

Below are my configured files

Services.cfg file

define service{
use generic-service
host_name cluster1
service_description HTTP
is_volatile 0
check_period 24x7
max_check_attempts 3
normal_check_interval 2
retry_check_interval 1
contact_groups linux-admins
notification_interval 240
notification_period 24x7
notification_options w,u,c,r
check_command check_http
}

Hosts.cfg file
define host{
use generic-host
host_name cluster1
alias Apache webserver
address 192.168.1.68 <http://192.168.1.68>
check_command check-host-alive
max_check_attempts 10
notification_interval 120
notification_period 24x7
notification_options d,u,r,w,c
}

Hostgroups.cfg file
define hostgroup{
hostgroup_name www
alias Web Servers
contact_groups linux-admins
members cluster1
}

Contacts.cfg file

define contact{
contact_name ankush
alias ankush grover
service_notification_period 24x7
host_notification_period 24x7
service_notification_options w,u,c,r
host_notification_options d,u,r
service_notification_commands notify-by-email
host_notification_commands host-notify-by-email
email ankush174 at gmail.com
}

Ccontactgroups.cfg file

define contactgroup{
contactgroup_name linux-admins
alias Linux Admins
members ankush
}

I have added /etc/nagios/checkcommands.cfg to nagios.cfg(cfg_file)
and also added /etc/nagios/command-plugins.cfg nagios.cfg(cfg_file)

I am very new to nagios.

Please help me.

Thanks & Regards

Ankush Grover