"Service check did not exit properly", possible redhat bug?

Joshua Coombs jcoombs at gwi.net
Wed Nov 30 16:50:14 CET 2005

> I am wondering if we are all seeing the efects of the same bug.
> Joshua and Steve what distribution/kernel version are you running on
> the boxes producing this error?
>
> -- rouilj
> John Rouillard
> My employers don't acknowledge my existence much less my opinions.

I was observing it on FreeBSD 4.11 running nagios 1.2.  Xach, one of
the dev guys here spotted, and appears to have corrected the issue, at
least on FreeBSD.

http://www.meulie.net/forum_viewtopic.php?21.4472.0#4516

Xach:
It turns out our local modifications to the service_message structure
pushed it over 512 bytes, making its write() over the pipe in
write_svc_message non-atomic. read_svc_message was then reading only a
partial message, and the zeroed-out fields triggered the "did not exit
properly!" errors.

I posted (via gmane) to the nagios-devel list with the details and a
patch.