AW: distributed and redundant monitoring

Thomas.Zimmer at oppenheim.de Thomas.Zimmer at oppenheim.de
Wed Nov 23 16:27:25 CET 2005

I think, I have an easy solution without any additional tools or
nagios-monitors, pls. correct me if I´m wrong:

Assuming that all three monitors send notifications:
Monitors A, B, C check host D with, let´s name it service1. Service1 has
deactivated notifications, but submits his results to the other both hosts.
Each host (A,B,C) has two services accepting the passive results of the
other two hosts. These two services, let´s name them service2 and service3,
don´t send notifications as well.

At least, each of the hosts A,B,C implement an additional active service
(service4) which checks host D (again), and sends notifications. The only
thing left is to set two service-dependencies, which supress notifications
of the only active notification-sending service4, if one of the passive
result-accepting services 2&3 is in an OK state.

Perhaps you´ll have to implement service1 twice, depending on the
possibilities of sending passive check results. I haven´t yet used passive
checks.

The execution (and sending) frequency of checks 1,2 and 3 should be higher
than for service4.

Greetz.

Thomas Zimmer
Produktservice & Betrieb
Betrieb & Support
Sal. Oppenheim jr. & Cie., Frankfurt a. Main
Internet: http://www.oppenheim.de
E-Mail: thomas.zimmer at oppenheim.de