distributed and redundant monitoring

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Wed Nov 23 22:22:40 CET 2005

>Some time ago I asked the same question. Maybe something has
>changed ever since. I need to create the following monitoring
>process: A,B,C are monitoring servers, distributed all over
>the world, seeing each other. D is the monitored host.
>notifications should be sent only in case when D is not
>responding to all of them (A && B && C). Can it be done by
>means of Nagios?

How about this.  On each of A, B and C you set up passive services
corresponding to D on the other Nagios servers.  Disable notifications on
all.  Set each of hosts A, B and C to use NSCA to send passive alerts for
host D checks on to the other two nagios boxes.  Then set up a pseudo
cluster check -- such as check_cluster or check_calc -- to do a summary over
the 'local' check and the other two passive checks, and go critical only if
all are critical.

So, on (nagios) host A, you have hosts and services:

Host D (checked locally, sends passives to host B and C, no notifications)
Host D on B (passive alerts via NSCA from host B, no notifications,
freshness check)
Host D on C (passive alerts via NSCA from host C, no notifications,
freshness check)
Host D cluster (calculated as best of Host D, Host B on B, Host D on C)

only the last one will send notifications.  Note that you will need to set
the two passive checks to have a freshness check that sets them to
'critical' is no passive status is received for a set interval (eg, 10 mins)
so that a downed Nagios server or network problem doesn't cause false OKs.

Steve