distributed and redundant monitoring

Marcel Mitsuto Fucatu Sugano msugano at uolinc.com
Wed Nov 23 15:54:38 CET 2005

On Wed, 2005-11-23 at 17:20 +0300, Izotov Igor wrote:
> Some time ago I asked the same question. Maybe something has changed ever
> since.
> I need to create the following monitoring process:
> A,B,C are monitoring servers, distributed all over the world, seeing each
> other.
> D is the monitored host.
> notifications should be sent only in case when D is not responding to all of
> them (A && B && C).
> Can it be done by means of Nagios?
> Say, can we build the system like http://websitepulse.com using Nagios?

I can be telling nothing but speculative stuff here, but...

Nagios A, B & C, running active checks, and sending results passively to
some other Central Nagios, let's say... Nagios X.

On Nagios X, you will need to configure 3 services, one for each
Distributed Nagios servers (A, B and C). Then you can configure only
Nagios X to send notifications about host D going down, after made sure
with a fourth active check made by Nagios X, after getting stale results
from the distributed servers.

It's how it came up to me, but other people can have other solutions
aswell.

Like configuring service dependencies, or service escalation, whatever
solution you get. IMO, Nagios could do the job.

cheers.
--
Marcel Mitsuto Fucatu Sugano <msugano at uolinc.com>
Universo Online S.A. -- http://www.uol.com.br