Stalking option + notification

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Thu Nov 10 23:52:36 CET 2005

>Unless the documentation is very wrong, which I am inclined to
>doubt is the case, the state stalking isn't contributing to
>your notifications, only to the logging of those states. Do
>you have is_volatile set for those services? That's another
>way to get multiple repeat notifications for non-OK services.

Surely, is_volatile will cause a notification *every*time* a critical check
is received?

I only want a notification if it is in critical *and* the text is different
from the last check, which is what state stalking does.

Eg, the plugin returns the LAST problem from the final 30 mins of the syslog
file.  Successive checks return:

1) OK - no problems in last 30min
(message 1 appears at the end of syslog)
2) CRITICAL - message 1
(5 mins pass)
3) CRITICAL - message 1
(message 2 appears at the end of syslog)
4) CRITICAL - message 2
(30 mins pass)
5) OK - no problems in last 30min

then I want to receive an alert for (2) and (4).

Normal checks would alert for (2) only.  Volatile checks would alert for
(2), (3) and (4).  Stalk stalking for critical would alert for (2) and (4).

Steve