"Service check did not exit properly"

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Wed Nov 9 21:47:26 CET 2005

>> Near as I can tell from the src, nagios logs a failed service check
>> with "Service check did not exit properly" when it can't execute the
>> service check plugin.
>> So, I got cute, I made a wrapper that logs when it starts, and any
>> output from check_snmp_if or the exact error when it can't
>execute it.
>> Welp, it happened again, and I don't see anything in my logs to
>> indicate what happened, all I see are valid runs.

I have experienced this as well, using Nagios 1.2.  It has been with a
couple of Perl scripts that run fine normally.  I found that if I put a
wrapper around them - or even just called perl directly with the script as
an argument - then it worked!  I have *no* idea why this should be, it's
just plain weird.

If you ever find out why, post here.  I gave up looking after ages and stuck
with using a null wrapper as a solution.

Steve