"Service check did not exit properly"

Joshua Coombs jcoombs at gwi.net
Wed Nov 9 05:48:17 CET 2005

"Joshua Coombs" <jcoombs at gwi.net> wrote in message
news:dkqg3m$usk$1 at sea.gmane.org...
> Near as I can tell from the src, nagios logs a failed service check
> with "Service check did not exit properly" when it can't execute the
> service check plugin.
>
> I keep getting this failure at random, 'bout once a day using
> check_snmp_if and I can't discern why.
>
> I first thought it might be a timeout, but nagios logs those as
> timeouts.
>
> I then thought it was a process limit, but I'm so under limits it
> hurts.
>
> So, I got cute, I made a wrapper that logs when it starts, and any
> output from check_snmp_if or the exact error when it can't execute
> it.
> Welp, it happened again, and I don't see anything in my logs to
> indicate what happened, all I see are valid runs.
>
> Anyone have further diag suggestions?
>
> Joshua Coombs

More data...

1cc-r2 atm 4/1/0.1-aal5 paged at 17:45:29 reporting "Service check did
not exit properly"

Looking at the logging from our inhouse plugin wrapper, I have the
following data:

Tue Nov  8 17:40:20 2005:
  COMMAND: /usr/local/libexec/nagios/check_snmp_if_2 -H
192.168.1.252 -C public -i 17 2>&1
  OUTPUT: OK: Admn:up; Oper:up;
  RETURN_STATUS: 0
--
Tue Nov  8 17:45:20 2005:
  COMMAND: /usr/local/libexec/nagios/check_snmp_if_2 -H
192.168.1.252 -C public -i 17 2>&1
  OUTPUT: OK: Admn:up; Oper:up;
  RETURN_STATUS: 0
--
Tue Nov  8 17:45:32 2005:
  COMMAND: /usr/local/libexec/nagios/check_snmp_if_2 -H
192.168.1.252 -C public -i 17 2>&1
  OUTPUT: OK: Admn:up; Oper:up;
  RETURN_STATUS: 0
--
Tue Nov  8 17:50:32 2005:
  COMMAND: /usr/local/libexec/nagios/check_snmp_if_2 -H
192.168.1.252 -C public -i 17 2>&1
  OUTPUT: OK: Admn:up; Oper:up;
  RETURN_STATUS: 0

So, the check DID infact exit cleanly with appropriate data.

It looks like it didn't get the exit data, then spawned a new check
right after, which generated a recovery page.

nagios: 1.2
check_snmp_if: 0.3.5
FreeBSD: 4.11-p12

I'm now really stumped, at first I thought something was causing the
script to execute, now it appears the script is executing, but
something is breakng the communication between nagios and the plugin.

Joshua Coombs