Service Dependencies

Noel Carroll noel at ece.utk.edu
Fri May 27 18:56:39 CEST 2005

Tony Earnshaw wrote:

>fre, 27.05.2005 kl. 14.26 skrev Christopher N. Carroll:
>
>[...]
>

>>>Is DNS stable or do you have DNS being updated by DHCP?
>>>That could be a pain if dhcp is unstable.
>>>
>>>Are the servers you are checking based on dhcp clients?
>>>

>>We're having a big DNS problem in which IPs just magically disappear
>>from our machines. I spend most of my time rebooting windows boxes (DHCP
>>enabled) that lose their configurations. When I say lose their
>>configurations I mean they have an IP, but our nameservers sure don't
>>have a corresponding IP for them.
>>
>>I am only checking to see if ping and ssh are working (yeah, I have a
>>minimal check on my windows machines for now). I end up getting a
>>CRITICAL on ping *and* ssh. It's anonying and I need to fix it. Also in
>>the future my linux hosts that depend on say NFS homeareas need not
>>annoy/spam me with email if our NFS server is done. That make sense?
>>
>>I'm not sure if I should be using parent and child or service dependencies.
>>

>This is all very woolly and disjointed. You didn't answer Subhendu's
>question: have you enabled the DHCP server to automatically update your
>DNS server each time it assigns an IP address? Don't know what you're
>using as software for these two, but this is possible with ISC's DHCP
>and Bind servers.
>
>--Tonni

Welcome to my world. I don't control DNS or DHCP. I'm strictly an end
user as far as that goes.

I was hoping for some help with service dependencies. I'm having trouble
understanding how to accomplish what I described above. If a key service
like ssh is down, I don't want emails about other services I'm checking
via ssh.

I hope that's clear?

-Noel