How to silence/ack multiple failed services on a host?

Ben Conrad BConrad at passkey.com
Wed May 25 16:41:33 CEST 2005

Hello,

We had an outage on one of our web servers yesterday, the host was up, the
web server was up but the 7 http services we monitor were failing because of
an internal J2EE server issue.

To silence the alerts while I was working the problem I went into each
service and "Acked" the down service.  Is that the only (fastest/most
efficient) way to Ack a bunch of services on a single host?

** Another question related to services on hosts **

I'm doing a rollout tomw night, all these services will be down or in
various states of availability.  What is the best way to silence 7 services
accross 10 web hosts?  I can gather that I might want to make these services
dependent on a service that looks at tcp/80 or 443 but that will only help
when the web server is down, what about when the webapp is initializing
(takes 4 minutes)?  When it's initializing the webapp will not pass any
service checks.

Thanks!

Ben