Scheduling downtime

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Mon May 23 23:36:15 CEST 2005

create

>From cgi.cfg --

# GLOBAL HOST/SERVICE COMMAND ACCESS
# These two options are comma-delimited lists of all usernames that
# can issue host or service related commands via the command
# CGI (cmd.cgi) for all hosts and services that are being monitored.
# By default, users can only issue commands for hosts or services
# that they are contacts for (unless you you choose to not use
# authorization).  You may use an asterisk (*) to authorize any
# user who has authenticated to the web server.

authorized_for_all_service_commands=[username]
authorized_for_all_host_commands=[username]

The key statement is that 'users can only issue commands for hosts or
services that they are contacts for'. The reverse of that is that for a
user to be able to issue a command (i.e. downtime) for a host or
service, they must be an authorized contact for that host or service
(well documented). The above two config variables would allow for global
command access for specific users. You must of course have CGI
authorization enabled for nagios to know what the username is that's
logged in...

http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/1_0/configcgi.html#authorized_for_all
_host_commands is also directly pertinent. If these don't help then
perhaps a description of how you understand the process will help us
point you more specifically at what you need to do.

> a new file
> in the var directory to enable scheduling downtime? The docs mentioned
> something about
> a line like
> downtime_file=/usr/local/nagios/var/downtime.dat
>
> Or will this file create itself from the Nagios program?

It will be created by Nagios as needed.

--
Marc