Nagios Setup On Ubuntu

Matthew S-H mathbymath at aol.com
Mon May 23 01:26:58 CEST 2005

On May 22, 2005, at 6:56 PM, Steve Tripp wrote:

> Have the plugins also been installed?  Plugins have to be installed
> separately after the initial nagios install.
I think they are.  I installed the following from the repository:
    nagios-common   2:1.3-0+pre6
    nagios-mysql        2:1.3-0+pre6
    nagios-plugins      1.3.1.0-12ubuntu3

>   Did you use standard
> ./configure variables?  Did you make the necessary httpd config
> changes?  Is the nagios process running?
The first time I did this, I tried downloading the tarball and
installing manually.  I followed the instructions to the letter.  But
nothing worked.  So I removed everything it had installed and tried
again using the package in the repository.  That is where I sit right
now.  This time around, not "./configure" was needed.
As for making the necessary httpd config changes, I added in what the
manual said to add in:
"ScriptAlias /nagios/cgi-bin/ /usr/lib/cgi-bin/nagios/
<Directory "/usr/lib/cgi-bin/nagios/">
     AllowOverride AuthConfig
     Options ExecCGI
     Order allow,deny
     Allow from all
</Directory>"
AND
"Alias /nagios/ /usr/share/nagios/htdocs/
<Directory "/usr/share/nagios/htdocs">
     Options None
     AllowOverride AuthConfig
     Order allow,deny
     Allow from all
</Directory>"
The first time around (when I used the makefile method), I did not do
this, however.  I was rather confused and didn't want to mess anything
up.

> The initial configuration can be trying, but once you get it going it
> and work with it for a while it grows on you.
I hope so :).  The main reason I am doing this is to learn from it.  I
am doing this for a school project that I had wanted to have finished
by Monday.  It isn't the end of the world if it takes a little longer
though.  I just hope I can figure this out with some of your help :).

On May 22, 2005, at 6:29 PM, Paul Orrock wrote:
> Have a look in /usr/share/doc/nagios which is where apt tends to put
> all the what to do next docs for what it installs. I had the same
> issue on debian but there were instructions on what to do next in
> there.
>
> Paul
That is what I was following in the first place.  It didn't give me any
help :(.
Or maybe it did have the correct instructions and I didn't properly
follow them.  But either way, I'm a bit lost...

Anyway, thank you all very much for your help.  If any of you have any
further suggestions on where I should proceed from here, I'm all ears.

~Matt