Rampant Nagios

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Tue May 17 17:44:51 CEST 2005

admin at jpk236.com wrote:
> Thank you for your very informative answer.  I'd like to know if perhaps
> it would change if I had been more specific regarding my setup.
>
> 2 Central Fail-Over servers
> 8 Distributed Monitoring Servers
>
> I use NSCA to do the distributed monitoring.  The only servers I've seen
> the CPU usage on is the distributed monitoring servers, which have no
> children.  I would completely agree with your answer had the problem
> been with a central server, but the fact that it's with a distributed
> server still leaves me confused.

I mean children as in "are mentioned with the parents directive for one
or more other host". If you have implemented your checking servers
without the parents directive you'd most likely see something like this
when a major player (as in switch/router) in the network goes down or
gets overloaded (even if it's only temporarily) as nagios then
re-schedules checks with a much tighter interval than it would normally
have done. The extra stress can easily pull the rug from under pretty
much any app.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer