what does 'Report Period' field do in Availability report (2.x) ?

Mon May 16 11:26:50 CEST 2005

Dear Sir,

I am writing to thank you for your letter and say,

On Mon, May 16, 2005 at 09:09:57AM +0200, Michael Medin wrote:
> Stanley Hopcroft wrote:
>
> >Dear Folks,
> >
> >Nag 2.x seems to have introduced a new field in the availability report
> >CGI panel (http://your_nag/nagios/cgi-bin/avail.cgi?... the third panel
> >that looks like

  [snip]

> I think its the field I added, if so it calculates the avaliblility
> based on the selected timeperiod. The main reson for adding this is that
> OUR SLA only covers officehours but we still want to monitor 24x7.

thank you very much for doing this.

Reporting against SLA is a frequently requested enhancement and very
very useful.

Well done !

(I saw Mr Galstads acknowledgement of your contribution - yep, avail.c
is too hairy for me to be comfortable with - but didn't realise what it
did. Again, this is a significant enhancement and one that should be
properly recognised and acknowledged by all that use Nag).

> >What does this 'Report Period' field do ?
> >

> Filters the collected data based on a timeperiod.

Great !

> >Does it mean that availability is only computed for that time period ?
> >
> >(so that availability for the none time period is always 100% and
> >        availability for the 24x7 time period is always the sum of
> >         the down times/reporting interval * 100).
> >
> >In other words, that downtime falling outside the time period is ignored
> >?
> >

> Yeap, thats the idea anyways...

Good.

> >If so, this is a great adddition and makes reporting for SLAs feasable.
> >

> Yeap, thats why I added it :)

One of the reasons that people cite for selecting the popular products
is reporting.

This contribution of yours should enable Nagios to compare much better
against them (although, when one talks about reporting for products like
Tivoli, what is meant is an extra cost add-on that provides reports
using Crystal-Reports against a database that is dedicated soley to
reporting.

The one Tivoli establishment I know well is happy with the standard
(pre-supplied) pretty but useless graphs.
)

> // Michael Medin
>
> >Yours sincerely.

Thank you again.