Nagios isn't ready for prime time

MASURE Jean-Francois DSMS jean-francois.masure at arche.fr
Mon May 16 10:38:37 CEST 2005

Hi list

-----Original Message-----

But expecting a new to Nagios person to build the object config files is
so time consuming and not understanding a lot of what is required in cfg
files.
Why not put the object cfg files in Nagios as the app is compiled.
For a IT person first being subjected to Negios , the time factor is to
much.

--------------------------

I'm planning to build a script which will read a file containing hosts
you want to be monitored. The file would be something like
"
host 192.168.0.1 http,sql,hda1,hda2;
router 192.168.0.254;
"
When reading "router", the script will try to get the interfaces to be
monitored via snmp queries. The script will then build all the necessary
.cfg files. It will also make the SQL queries needed to fill in
hostextinfo & serviceextinfo in the mysql database for nagios 1.x, plus
other customizations I'm adding to Nagios (cacti, weathermap4rrd etc.).

An automated process of creating Nagios config is a requirement for me,
as Nagios will be used to monitor several consumer networks with
frequent changes. The administrators who will be in charge won't have
time to dig in the .cfg or mysql table to change something - and won't
know how nagios config work either. The goal is to build all the config
with the script so administrators won't have to edit a single file while
Nagios is in a production environment.

I hope I will be able to make something quite generic by the summer to
have Nagios up and running, and not requiring much tweaks thanks to
predefined generic settings like contacts, check interval or snmp
community string.

Jean Francois