Nagios isn't ready for prime time

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Sun May 15 22:03:19 CEST 2005

Marc Powell wrote:

> [...]

I believe he meant that nagios should be able to start with the sample
config so that the gui becomes available (when properly configured). It
would then be easier to see what goes where for the new users who seem
to think that Nagios configures itself.

>>For a IT person first being subjected to Negios , the time factor is

>>much.
>

> We had a very well known consulting firm with half a dozen people take
> over 9 months to set up HP Openview for our network and it didn't do
> half the monitoring we are able to do with a nagios install that took
> just over a week and that I set up single-handedly. We currently monitor
> 2734 services on 1805 hosts.

All proprietary network monitoring tools are heavy to configure. They
build them like that on purpose so they can sell consulting hours later
on. It's not a big secret.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer