Problems wih NRPE. Really works?

Yolanda Santos iamyolanda at gmail.com
Wed May 11 16:35:57 CEST 2005

Hi!!

I get the nrpe-2.0.tar and I copy it in the Nagios host (Linux Red
Hat) and in a remote host (Solaris 8)

In both of them I compile and make it, as the documentation explains.
./configure
make all

Nagios Host:
I have installed Nagios in /opt/nagios, so I copy 'check_nrpe' client
to the directory /opt/nagios/libexec
I create a command definition in the Nagios config file for the NRPE
client (as the documentation explains)

Remote Host:
Add in /etc/services the line:
		 nrpe		5666/tcp		#NRPE
I use inetd with tcpwrappers so, in the /etc/inetd.conf file I add:
	nrpe	stream	       tcp      nowait    nagios  /usr/sbin/tcpd
/opt/nagios/nrpe  -c /opt/nagios/nrpe.cfg  --inetd

I restart the inetd

(I have the nrpe binary and nrpe.cfg in the remote host, in '/opt/nagios/')

In nrpe.cfg I add the line:

command[check_load]=/opt/nagios/libexec/check_load -w 15,10,5 -c 30,25,20

(the check_load command is only in the Nagios host, not in the remote host)

I start the nrpe daemon in the remote host:
		nrpe    -c   /opt/nagios/nrpe.cfg –i

In the Nagios host I try to get data:

./check_nrpe -H 10.190.8.12 -c check_load

and I get the message:

CHECK_NRPE: Socket timeout after 10 seconds.

What I am doing wrong?
Why I can't obtein data from the remote host?