check_broadcast_threshold plugin ...

Subhendu Ghosh sghosh at sghosh.org
Fri May 6 05:09:12 CEST 2005

On Fri, 6 May 2005, Stanley Hopcroft wrote:

> Dear Folks,
>
> Some people have gig switch infrastructure operating at layer two.
> People in such a mess _need_ to know about broadcast/multicast storms
> ... (yes, I know what sensible people have done for the last twenty
> years ..).
>
> Apart from RMON traps, can anyone suggest a plugin, or a probe or an
> approach that would be useful as a Nagios plugin to raise an alert for a
> broadcast rate over a threshold (on the monitored host, no need to worry
> about other segments ...).
>
> Hmm, maybe the RFC1213-MIB::ifInNUcastPkts OID is what I want from the
> Net-SNMP agent.
>
> Perhaps this can be polled and stored (by Cricket or some such thing)
> in an RRD, and then check_rrd or a custom plugin reads the RRD and
> checks for threshold violations (possibly using Holt-Winters forecast in
> RRDtoo 1.2).
>
> Actually, maybe Cricket generating passive service checks is the way to
> go.
>
> Any other low budget ideas are very welcome.
>
> Yours sincerely.

You have to be a bit careful with newer equipment as the object is marked
deprecated in the standard, but probably the best supported object there
is. It counts both multicast and bradcast. If you don't have too much
multicast, then you are doing ok with the object.

recommended objects would be from ifXTable (rfc2863)

32 bit - ifInBroadcastPkts, ifOutBroadcastPkts
(probably not good for GigE if you have a lot of these pkts)

64 bit - ifHCOutBroadcastPkts, ifHCInBroadcastPkts

Cricket to Nagios would be the way to go - maybe both an active and passve
check.

--
-sg