check_broadcast_threshold plugin ...

Stanley Hopcroft Stanley.Hopcroft at IPAustralia.gov.au
Fri May 6 04:34:58 CEST 2005

Dear Folks,

Some people have gig switch infrastructure operating at layer two.
People in such a mess _need_ to know about broadcast/multicast storms
... (yes, I know what sensible people have done for the last twenty
years ..).

Apart from RMON traps, can anyone suggest a plugin, or a probe or an
approach that would be useful as a Nagios plugin to raise an alert for a
broadcast rate over a threshold (on the monitored host, no need to worry
about other segments ...).

Hmm, maybe the RFC1213-MIB::ifInNUcastPkts OID is what I want from the
Net-SNMP agent.

Perhaps this can be polled and stored (by Cricket or some such thing)
in an RRD, and then check_rrd or a custom plugin reads the RRD and
checks for threshold violations (possibly using Holt-Winters forecast in
RRDtoo 1.2).

Actually, maybe Cricket generating passive service checks is the way to
go.

Any other low budget ideas are very welcome.

Yours sincerely.