nagios produces 100% cpu load

Stanley Hopcroft Stanley.Hopcroft at IPAustralia.gov.au
Thu May 5 06:40:14 CEST 2005

Dear Folks,

There is probably nothing too strange about Nagios's use of threads (in
other words, Nag 2.x probably doesn't have a thread bug); the reported
100% of CPU usage on FreeBSD 5.x is more likely, IMHO, to be caused by
the new (ie different to FreeBSD 4.x) thread model in 5.x (KSE or Kernel
Scheduled Entities).

This may be a better question for the FreeBSD lists eg
FreeBSD-stable at FreeBSD.ORG.

I'd be happy to report it there, but my Nagios installation is on 4.x,
where, with the exception of the 'Known Issues' documented at

http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/2_0/whatsnew.html

it runs well.

Please bear in mind that threaded applications

( mysql
  ntop
come to mind ) have a history of struggling on FreeBSDs thread
implementation.

DragonFly BSD have an entirely new different thread model (in mnind) as
does (I think) NetBSD, so there is considerable controversy as to how to
do this right on *BSD systems.

You may have better luck with the Linux thread port.

Yours sincerely.