Passive services, freshness checks and restarts

Andrew Laden Andrew.Laden at tudor.com
Wed May 4 19:16:13 CEST 2005

I am using Nagios to monitor some once a day batch jobs. So I have passive
services that the batch jobs submit their results to, and have the freshness
set on those services to 25 hours.

 If I restart Nagios, (or reload the config) Does that 25 hour timer get
reset? We change our environment pretty frequently, (adding and removing
hosts and services) and if the timer gets reset, then the freshness check
will never kick in.

For example, I have a service that did not run on Monday. Monday morning I
got the freshness alert. Monday during the day I restarted Nagios. The
service failed to run on Tuesday as well, however, the check didn't trigger.
Same thing this morning.
 The service in the GUI reports "Status Data Age" as over 2 days, but I
guess nagios doesn't actually look at that value when checking freshness?

Nagios Ver 1.1 (ok I know its old, if this has been fixed in a later
version, then I will go through the pain of an upgrade)

Thanks
-Andrew