Agentless Windows monitors

Michael Medin michael at medin.name
Wed Mar 30 14:11:15 CEST 2005

Andreas Ericsson wrote:

> Glenn Meisenheimer wrote:
>
>> Hi Andreas
>>

>>> And hopefully, if you have Windows systems in your infrasturcture
>>>  you shouldn't find it too confusing to set up a user.
>>>

>>> Now your earlier point of scalability bears investigation.
>>

>> Common sense says it will work poorly. If the proxy could have a
>> script server that would greatly reduce the load, as code doesn't
>> need to be initialized every time. That would call for a complete
>> re-design of nrpe-nt though, so it's probably better to start from
>> scratch.

Actually this can be done with a module for NSClient++ quite easily. My
initial plan (before I started playing with NRPE) was to write a MS
scripting host module to allow script to be 1, preloaded and more
importantly 2, running in the "background" ie. collect data and such).
But as NRPE will probably take a while to whip up that will probably not
be for a few months or so...

>>>  I have
>>>  not rolled out thousands of these monitors yet, so I obviously
>>>  need to do some benchmarking to see just how scalable this approach
>>>  is.  To do it correctly, I need to use an enterprise level server
>>>  as the proxy host.  (if one intends to do large numbers of these
>>>  things this would make sense).
>>>

>>> One could, of course, use more than one proxy server.  That would
>>>  be scalable.  Nothing says that you can't have more than one of
>>>  these things out there.  Perhaps you could select one machine in
>>>  each domain and install nrpe-nt and these scripts on it.
>>>

>> Yes, but is it really interesting to waste computer power on proxies?
>> One must also consider the fact that the proxy will become a single
>> point of failure (SOP running windows ... *shudder*). If the proxy
>> goes down you'll loose monitoring on all the windows nodes and
>> considering you have decided to invest in a proxy to monitor them,
>> you probably have quite a few.
>>
>> One could ofcourse set up a redundant mesh of proxies and nagios
>> servers but then we're eating up the time saved pretty fast.

Is there any support for that in Nagios ?
Thoretically you could set it up I soppose using parents and such but a
"redundant" check would solve this pretty simple.
ie. "check_using_one_of -H1 -H2 -H3 -c check_nrpe .... " Having it check
untill it finds a host that responds.
And a check_using_all_of might similarily be of use, but what do I know :)