Agentless Windows monitors

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Wed Mar 30 02:11:41 CEST 2005

Glenn Meisenheimer wrote:
> Hi Andreas

Ahoy.

> You said:
>

> Ok, so no client needs to be installed and it can (according to
>  MS
>
> themselves) be done securely, but the configuration process to set
>  it up
>
> still requires hands-on configuration of the machine in question
>  which
>
> will most likely be more confusing than installing a package on
>  each of
>
> the monitored hosts and with a far greater impact if it's done wrong.
>

> Perhaps you don't understand.  No agents need to be set up on the
>  remote machines and the only configuration required is that a user
>  needs to be set up so that nagios can access the machine.  You
>  have to do the same thing with many of the other Nagios monitoring
>  tools.  Also, the user can be a domain user, so you really don't
>  even need to touch the monitored machines at all.

Except that MS by default ships DCOM access with very loose
access-restrictions which means it needs to be tweaked on each machine
if this is to be done in a secure manner.

Even so, minimal access is usually all it takes to increase possibility
of successfully exploiting a vulnerabilities about 40 times.

> And hopefully, if you have Windows systems in your infrasturcture
>  you shouldn't find it too confusing to set up a user.
>

> Now your earlier point of scalability bears investigation.

Common sense says it will work poorly. If the proxy could have a script
server that would greatly reduce the load, as code doesn't need to be
initialized every time. That would call for a complete re-design of
nrpe-nt though, so it's probably better to start from scratch.

>  I have
>  not rolled out thousands of these monitors yet, so I obviously
>  need to do some benchmarking to see just how scalable this approach
>  is.  To do it correctly, I need to use an enterprise level server
>  as the proxy host.  (if one intends to do large numbers of these
>  things this would make sense).
>

> One could, of course, use more than one proxy server.  That would
>  be scalable.  Nothing says that you can't have more than one of
>  these things out there.  Perhaps you could select one machine in
>  each domain and install nrpe-nt and these scripts on it.

Yes, but is it really interesting to waste computer power on proxies?
One must also consider the fact that the proxy will become a single
point of failure (SOP running windows ... *shudder*). If the proxy goes
down you'll loose monitoring on all the windows nodes and considering
you have decided to invest in a proxy to monitor them, you probably have
quite a few.

One could ofcourse set up a redundant mesh of proxies and nagios servers
but then we're eating up the time saved pretty fast.

> Now, where to find an enterprise server that I can appropriate for
>  this testing... hehe  Might be time for a midnight foray through
>  the lab!

Don't forget the 3am lunar toast. ;)

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer