Agentless Windows monitors

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Wed Mar 30 15:41:28 CEST 2005

Michael Medin wrote:
> Andreas Ericsson wrote:
>
>> Glenn Meisenheimer wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Andreas

>>> Common sense says it will work poorly. If the proxy could have a
>>> script server that would greatly reduce the load, as code doesn't
>>> need to be initialized every time. That would call for a complete
>>> re-design of nrpe-nt though, so it's probably better to start from
>>> scratch.
>>

> Actually this can be done with a module for NSClient++ quite easily.

That was the sort of re-design I had in mind. :)

> My
> initial plan (before I started playing with NRPE) was to write a MS
> scripting host module to allow script to be 1, preloaded and more
> importantly 2, running in the "background" ie. collect data and such).

This is sort of "dangerous". Users will most likely think "why the hell
isn't my data fresh when I've told nagios to check it once ever
umpteenth second". Hooking up a module to add a new check though (saving
the load time) would indeed be extremely useful.

> But as NRPE will probably take a while to whip up that will probably not
> be for a few months or so...

>>> Yes, but is it really interesting to waste computer power on proxies?
>>> One must also consider the fact that the proxy will become a single
>>> point of failure (SOP running windows ... *shudder*). If the proxy
>>> goes down you'll loose monitoring on all the windows nodes and
>>> considering you have decided to invest in a proxy to monitor them,
>>> you probably have quite a few.
>>>
>>> One could ofcourse set up a redundant mesh of proxies and nagios
>>> servers but then we're eating up the time saved pretty fast.
>>

> Is there any support for that in Nagios ?

The proxy redundancy would be better off handled through some other
means (linux HA, but on windows, sort of) with support for IP takeover.

> Thoretically you could set it up I soppose using parents and such but a
> "redundant" check would solve this pretty simple.
> ie. "check_using_one_of -H1 -H2 -H3 -c check_nrpe .... " Having it check
> untill it finds a host that responds.

Yes, but this would present a difficulty in configuration as well as
increase the load and check-times fairly dramatically on the nagios
server. Down hosts don't respond at all so there would usually be a
series of socket timeouts until one actually does respond. This also
scales poorly.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer