Agentless Windows monitors

Glenn Meisenheimer gmeisenheimer at itgroundwork.com
Tue Mar 29 20:02:01 CEST 2005

Hi Andreas

You said:

Ok, so no client needs to be installed and it can (according to
 MS

themselves) be done securely, but the configuration process to set
 it up

still requires hands-on configuration of the machine in question
 which

will most likely be more confusing than installing a package on
 each of

the monitored hosts and with a far greater impact if it's done wrong.

Perhaps you don't understand.  No agents need to be set up on the
 remote machines and the only configuration required is that a user
 needs to be set up so that nagios can access the machine.  You
 have to do the same thing with many of the other Nagios monitoring
 tools.  Also, the user can be a domain user, so you really don't
 even need to touch the monitored machines at all.

And hopefully, if you have Windows systems in your infrasturcture
 you shouldn't find it too confusing to set up a user.

Now your earlier point of scalability bears investigation.  I have
 not rolled out thousands of these monitors yet, so I obviously
 need to do some benchmarking to see just how scalable this approach
 is.  To do it correctly, I need to use an enterprise level server
 as the proxy host.  (if one intends to do large numbers of these
 things this would make sense).

One could, of course, use more than one proxy server.  That would
 be scalable.  Nothing says that you can't have more than one of
 these things out there.  Perhaps you could select one machine in
 each domain and install nrpe-nt and these scripts on it.

Now, where to find an enterprise server that I can appropriate for
 this testing... hehe  Might be time for a midnight foray through
 the lab!

Glenn A. Meisenheimer

Customer Support Manager

Groundwork Open Source Solutions

This thread is located in the archive at this URL:

http://www.nagiosexchange.org/nagios-users.34.0.html?&tx_maillisttofaq_pi
1[showUid]=4519