Scheduling Downtime / Host Checks

Noel Carroll noel at ece.utk.edu
Mon Mar 21 21:51:25 CET 2005

Noel Carroll wrote:

> Hey guys. I'm also rather new to Nagios. I've got my server up and
> running and things are going pretty smooth. I have it checking basic
> services on my hosts but there is still room to grow. I have two main
> questions.
>
> I have to schedule downtime for every host I'm monitoring with Nagios.
> Is there a way I can do this for my defined hostgroups? I noticed when
> I goto the downtime portion of my web interface I schedule downtimes
> for services. This may be my best possibility since I'm really only
> checking a few services (ping, ssh, http, mail, etc) but I thought I
> should consult the experts.
>
> I also have been trying to figure out the best way for me to monitor
> services on different hosts. I've looked at NRPE, but I'm curious if I
> couldn't get away with check_by_ssh. I have a global login to every
> machine that also has that user's homearea mounted. Should I be
> looking into check_by_ssh and have it execute a specific plugin? I
> read the FAQ on this but it left me with many questions. If anyone has
> a link to more information I would appreciate it.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Noel Carroll

On the off chance that someone else finds this useful, If I am at the
web interface and click "HostGroup Overview" and then click the
hostgroup that is in () ie. (flux-lab) for me, I am then given the
option of "Scheduling downtime for all hosts in this hostgroup" which is
what I wanted.

I'm not sure what's up with the duration being set to a default of 7200
mins or 2hrs but I'm hoping if I select "Fixed" and use Start / End
dates that I'll be ok. If not, my boss is going to kill me for taking
down our mail server with lots and lots of email.

Why is this option not available for the main "Downtime" option on the
web interface? Is there any kind of bug tracker of feature tracker I can
check out? It seems like I should be able to schedule this from the
"Downtime" menu shouldn't I?

Is it a common practice to have a hostgroup like 'allhosts' and have
every hostgroup I define listed there? The physical plant here at UT
likes to turn off power to our building often times and this situation
comes up quite often.

I know, I know, where's the patch right? I wish I could help...

-Noel