Help with Extended Information

Chris Wilson chris at aidworld.org
Fri Mar 18 14:17:10 CET 2005

Hi all,

I have a silly problem with Nagios 1.x Extended Information, and I hope
that someone here can help me.

I am setting up NagiosGraph, and I have successfully configured Nagios
to display the graphs for the ping service on each host, using the
following definition in serviceextinfo.cfg:

        define serviceextinfo {
                hostgroup
        chris-servers,infra-servers,prod-servers,dev-servers
                notes_url
        /nagios/graph/show.cgi?host=$HOSTNAME$&service=$SERVICEDESC$
                icon_image              ../trends.gif
                icon_image_alt          View graphs
                service_description     ping
        }

Now I want to provide extended information for almost all of my
services. Most of the settings will be the same across all service
types, so I would like to use templates with inheritance to reduce the
amount of typing I need to do. Really I would like to just apply the
same settings to all hosts and services automatically, but I don't think
it's possible :-(.

The documentation claims that inheritance should work
[http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/1_0/xedtemplate.html], but when I
try the following configuration, I get NO extended information links, as
though my definition was being ignored.

        define serviceextinfo {
                name                    se_template
                hostgroup               chris-servers,infra-servers,prod-servers,dev-servers
                notes_url               /nagios/graph/show.cgi?host=$HOSTNAME$&service=$SERVICEDESC$
                icon_image              ../trends.gif
                icon_image_alt          View graphs
                service_description     ping
                register                0
        }

        define serviceextinfo {
                use                     se_template
                service_description     ping
        }

I discovered that if I add an identical hostgroup line to the real
service definition, then the links to the graphs are displayed properly.
Could it be that the hostgroup property is not inherited correctly?

Also, if I leave out the "service_description" from se_template, the
status CGI crashes with a segmentation fault instead of giving a proper
error message.

Is there a proper place to report bugs in Nagios? The Sourceforge bug
tracker seems to be disabled.

Thanks in advance for your help and advice.

Cheers, Chris.
--
(aidworld) chris wilson | chief engineer (chris at aidworld.org)