Tuning Question

Mark Ahlstrom mark.ahlstrom at managedmail.com
Thu Mar 17 17:50:38 CET 2005

As an update, when it comes to tuning Latency I've found a couple of
interesting things. And I wish to share them.

First, Google really misses the mark on Nagios searches. Once I started
looking through Yahoo I found some really good leads.

I found a reference to ./nagios -s ../etc/nagios.cfg . And I started
tweaking. Searching through this list I found the most useful hint: it's
a matter of tweaking both max_concurrent_checks and the
service_reaper_frequency. If the reaper is too low, you could have a
problem. So I started with the minimum recommended max_concurrent_checks
from "nagios -s" and started tweaking my reaper from 5 downward. Once my
Latency average was almost better, I started upping my
max_concurrent_checks until I was comfortable.

Right now my values are: max_concurrent_checks = 100 and
service_reaper_frequency = 3, with 3502 services and 280 hosts.

NOW FOR THE INTERESTING PART! From "nagios -s" there is a nice warning,
"The minimum value also reflects best case scenarios where there are no
problems on your network." I'm building a fail over pair on the 280R's.
And the only difference between the V210 and the 280R's (other than
hardware) was the network. As a controlled test I placed one of the
280's on the same network as my 210, and synced the configuration files
on both 280's. The results are dramatic. The average Latency for my new
network is 275 seconds. The average Latency for the old network (where
the 210 resides) is .788 seconds! Needless to say, I'm going to pull out
the cat o' five tails and "visit" out network admin. 8-)

I hope this helps someone later on.