Tuning Question

Don Alfredo don.alfredo at pandora.be
Thu Mar 17 01:27:11 CET 2005

On Tuesday 15 March 2005 00:57, Mark Ahlstrom wrote:
> Another question would be, am I asking a moot question because of my
> platform choice? Because of GCC and compile options would I be better
> off with a Linux based server?

Mark,
definitely not starting a OS war here, no flame or kill but :
very recently i was stunned by the comparison of "the same" software on
different platforms : (test were done on dedicated servers, with base-OS and
no tuning)
throughput of commercial anti-spam/anti-virus/content-filtering software :
windows : 13 mails/min
linux 25 mails/min
solaris 7 mails/min
(the soft does not run on BSD, for those pulling their guns)
i think it was the number of available concurrent sockets available that made
the difference - don't kill me on that. Apart for some test-servers, and a
rare request for help,  i have no experience with solaris, but from what i
can understand from the sunny-side of the road is that it is rock solid but
slooooooow.
you might want to take the test and pop-in a linux box with same nagios
config?