Host checks & program status

Jason Martin jhmartin at toger.us
Tue Mar 8 19:39:39 CET 2005

Do host checks delay the writing of the status data? I've got a
Nagios instance with about 500 hosts / 5K services. About 35
hosts went offline at the same time, and I started getting
alarms from my backup-Nagios machine that the primary Nagios
status table was not updating fast enough.

I have Nagios set to aggregate status updates and to write them
out every 90 seconds. Check_nagios_db is configured to alarm if
the database isn't updated in 120 seconds. Running the script
manually I saw times in excess of 240 seconds.  I removed the
offending hosts (they were down for good) and the problem went
away, but I am wondering if anyone else has seen this.

The DB writes were taking under three seconds total.

This is Nagios 1.1 on Linux using DB storage of the host and
service status.

(I apologize if this is a dupe post, but I nevet got a copy of
it after I sent it nor has it shown up in the archives over the
last 2 days).

Thanks,
-Jason Martin
--