Host checks & program status

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Tue Mar 8 20:16:28 CET 2005

Yes, Nagios stops _all_ other processing until the status of
questionable hosts has been definitely determined. This is so it can
determine network reachability, dependencies, etc. The idea is that your
host checks should be as simple and finish as quickly as possible (i.e.
a single ping).

I have a much larger installation and personally found host checks not
worth the extra delay so I don't do any, relying on service checks
entirely.

--
Marc