Problem with check_ping plugin

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Mon Mar 7 12:41:46 CET 2005

Leonardo Henrique Machado wrote:
> This check_ping is very strange. How could it be so dumb that a small
> difference in output could blow up the entire plugin program. It's not
> robust enogth to deal with simple changes. Since check_ping is the
> most important plugin in Nagios (all other plugins depends on
> check-host-alive) I think that It should deserve more attention from
> the developers.

It has. check_icmp is the designated replacement, but as you pointed out
it is the most important plugin and therefore requires quite a bit of
testing before check_ping can be done away with (why check_ping was
written to parse output in the first place is more than I can
understand, considering the ICMP protocol is pretty well documented).

> I stopped using check_ping and started using check_icmp, which, until
> now, didn't suffered from this side effect.

Do you mean check_icmp isn't working now, or do you mean it's still
working? Being the original author, I'm fairly interested in any
problems with it.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer