avail.cgi incorrect statistics

Chris Wilson chris at aidworld.org
Mon Jul 4 20:09:03 CEST 2005

Hi all,

I'm concerned about the accuracy of the statistics reported by
avail.cgi, compared to the actual log contents and the history.cgi
report.

I have saved exmaple outputs from both which demonstrate the problem,
but the HTML files are quite large so I have posted them here:

avail.cgi:
http://dev.aidworld.org:81/virt2.loband.org-google-avail.html

history.cgi:
http://dev.aidworld.org:81/virt2.loband.org-google-history.html

The report from avail.cgi shows an 18 hour downtime period, from
30-06-2005 16:00:53 to 01-07-2005 10:33:21: SERVICE CRITICAL
(Network is unreachable).

However, the history shows that the downtime was only 12 minutes:

[30-06-2005 16:00:53] SERVICE ALERT: virt2.loband.org;filter
www.google.co.uk;CRITICAL;HARD;1;Network is unreachable

[30-06-2005 16:10:54] SERVICE ALERT: virt2.loband.org;filter
www.google.co.uk;WARNING;SOFT;1;HTTP problem: HTTP/1.1 200 OK - 13.370
second response time

[30-06-2005 16:12:12] SERVICE ALERT: virt2.loband.org;filter
www.google.co.uk;OK;SOFT;2;HTTP ok: HTTP/1.1 200 OK - 0.205 second
response time

It seems that avail.cgi counted from the start of downtime until the
next Nagios restart, ignoring the fact that the service came back up.

This makes the very nice-looking and potentially useful availability
reports, completely useless to me, as I can't trust the figures at all.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Cheers, Chris.
--
(aidworld) chris wilson | chief engineer (chris at aidworld.org)