Using perfdata to read log files.

Nathan Oyler noyler at khimetrics.com
Mon Jul 4 20:04:27 CEST 2005

I have Nagios Grapher installed, and it's a nice tool.

I am using Nagios 2b3.

Since I already have graphing of several difference services, I was
thinking about how to get the data from a tomcat statistics logfile into
nagios, so that I can wrap everything up into one nice tool to manage it
with.

I was thinking I could write a perl plugin to parse the logfile, and
then send back information as perfdata to send to Nagios, which would
then be sent to  Nagios Grapher.

Has anyone done this, suggest against it for any particular reason, any
other thoughts?

The logfiles are created with dates for when they were started, and
statistics are created on the hour. I was thinking about marking each
one that's been taken, and calling an event handler if there are any
left. Incase for some reason Nagios doesn't run the check when there's
new data. Maybe making the check an OK unless there are no files in the
intended directory in which case it would give a warning.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you.