DNS plugin problem

Skylar Thompson skylar at cs.earlham.edu
Sun Jan 23 21:14:02 CET 2005

I'm using the check_dns plugin to monitor our BIND DNS servers. Many times
a day, the plugin marks one BIND server as down with this error message:

SERVICE ALERT: hopper;DNS;CRITICAL;HARD;3;DNS CRITICAL - '/usr/bin/nslookup
-sil' output parsing exited with no address

It then comes back up about 10 minutes later:

SERVICE ALERT: hopper;DNS;OK;HARD;3;DNS ok - 1 seconds response time,
Address(es) is/are 216.109.118.74

This machine runs FreeBSD 4.7 and uses BIND 8.3. We have two other DNS
servers, running on FreeBSD 4.10 and using BIND 9.2. The trouble machine is
nominally outside my control, but I could make a case to those
administrators to do an upgrade to BIND 9. Would this likely solve the
problem, or is it something else?

--
-- Skylar Thompson (skylar at cs.earlham.edu)
-- http://www.cs.earlham.edu/~skylar/