DNS plugin problem

Andy Smith andy at strugglers.net
Mon Jan 24 19:14:17 CET 2005

On Sun, Jan 23, 2005 at 03:14:02PM -0500, Skylar Thompson wrote:
> I'm using the check_dns plugin to monitor our BIND DNS servers. Many times
> a day, the plugin marks one BIND server as down with this error message:
>
> SERVICE ALERT: hopper;DNS;CRITICAL;HARD;3;DNS CRITICAL - '/usr/bin/nslookup
> -sil' output parsing exited with no address
>
> It then comes back up about 10 minutes later:
>
> SERVICE ALERT: hopper;DNS;OK;HARD;3;DNS ok - 1 seconds response time,
> Address(es) is/are 216.109.118.74

Does the problem go away if you modify your check to use check_dig
instead?

(nslookup is deprecated, although that probably isn't your problem
let's stop using it anyway)

BTW I am at the moment trying to write my first plugin which will
use Net::DNS perl module to get the SOA of an rbldnsd-hosted zone,
giving warning or critical based on how old the SOA timestamp is.

Has anyone else written that before (google does not help)?

If not, if anyone wants it when I've finished then drop me a mail..