Service escalations not working as expected?

Luca Corti cortez at tiscali.it
Mon Jan 10 19:09:25 CET 2005

On Mon, 2005-01-10 at 13:01 +0100, Andreas Ericsson wrote:
> Are those two actually for the same service on the same host, or is that
> just the same placeholder for two different services?

It's the same service.

> > I'd expect the escalation to notify MYGROUP contacts three times at 5
> > minute intervals when my service is in CRITICAL state. After the third
> > notification it should stop sending out notifications.
> >

> notification_interval 5
> first_notification 0
> last_notification 3
>
> I'm not sure what you had in mind with dual escalations, but the above
> lines (in a single escalation) should do what you want.

The dual escalation is used to limit the number of notifications sent to
3, I don't want nagios to notify anymore after the third notification.
See below.

> > Unfortunately it goes on sending out notifications until i manually
> > acknowledge the problem or disable notifications for the service.
> That would be the doing of the "last_notification 0" line in the second
> escalation.

[...]

> Obviously. Read the docs on escalations. Understand the docs on
> escalations. Try the thing I posted up there. If it fails, file a bug
> report.

I've read the documentation and I think I understand the escalations
notification logic. In the second definition notification_interval is
set to 0. The documentation says about notification_interval:

"If you specify a value of 0 for the interval, Nagios will send the
first notification when this escalation definition is valid, but will
then prevent any more problem notifications from being sent out for the
host."

So my previous configuration should prevent any notifications beyond the
third.

I've merged the two escalations definitions as you suggested:

define serviceescalation{
	host_name		MYHOST
	service_description	MYSERVICE
	first_notification	0
	last_notification	3
	contact_groups		MYGROUP
	notification_interval	5
}

but I still get notifications after the third one, and this seems normal
to me since this just limits the escalation's scope to the first three
notifications.

After some testing I've found this to be the correct configuration to
obtain what I wanted:

define serviceescalation {
        host_name                       MYHOST
        service_description             MYSERVICE
        first_notification              0
        last_notification               2
        contact_groups                  MYGROUP
        notification_interval           5
}
define serviceescalation {
        host_name                       MYHOST
        service_description             MYSERVICE
        first_notification              3
        last_notification               0
        contact_groups                  MYGROUP
        notification_interval           0
}

thanks

Luca

P.S.: I get your messages twice, is it just me or there's anyone else
receiving duplicate messages?

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
This message and its attachments are confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the named recipient, please notify the sender immediately, delete this message and do not disclose the contents to any other person, do not use it for any purpose or store or copy the information in any medium.