Nagios not triggering one notification but another?

Schmitz, Carsten Carsten.Schmitz at aegon.com
Mon Jan 10 12:37:12 CET 2005

Hi fellow Nagios users,

I have a problem thats driving me insane - its probably a tiny thing I'm overlooking and maybe someone can point me into the right direction.

We have an installation of Nagios 1.2 monitoring ~30 servers and lots of services. I had setup SMS notification in the past via an email-to-sms provider and that worked fine.

Now we have purchased an GPRS modem to send our own SMS. I have a shell script that can send SMS, and I'm trying to get Nagios to trigger it. However, nothing happens. Therefore, I tried to simplify the setup for easy debugging, and it seems that one notification just isn't triggered while another one is.

This is my test setup (showing relevant excerpts from the config files below):

services.cfg:

define service{
        use                             generic-service         ; Name of service template to use

        host_name                       nemesis
        service_description             Internal Diagnostics
        is_volatile                     0
        check_period                    24x7
        max_check_attempts              1
        normal_check_interval           1
        retry_check_interval            1
        contact_groups                  sms_test
        notification_interval           2400
        notification_period             24x7
        notification_options            c,r
        check_command                   diag
        }

contactgroups.cfg:

define contactgroup{
        contactgroup_name       sms_test
        alias                   SMS Test
        members                 sms_carsten
}

contacts.cfg:

define contact{
        contact_name                    sms_carsten
        alias                           Carsten Schmitz - SMS MDM
        service_notification_period     24x7
        host_notification_period        24x7
        service_notification_options    c,r
        host_notification_options       d,u,r
        service_notification_commands   diag_out,notify-by-sms-mdm
        host_notification_commands      host-notify-by-sms-mdm
        email                           devnull at mydomain.com
        pager                           my_cellular_number
        }

(note: my_cellular_number is of course a placeholder, it has my real numeric number in the actual file)

misccommands.cfg:

define command{
        command_name    notify-by-sms-mdm
        command_line    /usr/local/nagios/libexec/alert_sms_mdm $CONTACTPAGER$ "$SERVICEDESC$\n$HOSTNAME$ - $HOSTALIAS$\n$HOSTADDRESS$\n$SERVICESTATE$\n$OUTPUT$\n$DATETIME$"
        }

define command{
        command_name    diag_out
        command_line    echo $CONTACTPAGER$ "$SERVICEDESC$\n$HOSTNAME$ - $HOSTALIAS$\n$HOSTADDRESS$\n$SERVICESTATE$\n$OUTPUT$\n$DATETIME$" > /tmp/nagios_diag_out.out
        }

"diag" is just a dummy script that exits with return code 0 or 1 at my liking, so that I can easily trigger a Nagios alert. It also writes a log file.
"/usr/local/nagios/libexec/alert_sms_mdm" is the SMS script that also writes a log file.
"diag_out" just writes a file in /tmp for seeing if Nagios triggers a notification, and for seeing what the output after variable expansion looks like.

I have "reloaded" nagios and the config check went just fine.

What works:

I can see in the "diag" log file that the check itself is being triggered by nagios.
I can see in /tmp/nagios_diag_out.out that the "diag_out" misccommand (first notification) has been run
I can take the output from Nagios from the /tmp/nagios_diag_out.out file (same as the output for "notify-by-sms-mdm" would be) and pass it on the shell to the SMS script and I get an SMS (and a log file entry that notify-by-sms-mdm has been run).

What fails:

I do not receive an SMS (or a log file entry saying that it called notify-by-sms-mdm) when the Nagios alert is triggered.

I'm sure this is not a bug but me overlooking a tiny detail somewhere ... if someone among the fellow Nagios using community spots the problem, I'd be very grateful for a hint.

Thanks!

Carsten Schmitz