Nagios just stopped running

Rimbert Rivera rrivera at comtex.com
Wed Jan 5 05:45:39 CET 2005

I have a cron job that runs the check_nagios plugin and e-mails us the output.  Earlier today, we started getting:
"Nagios problem: located 3 processes, status log updated 1565 seconds ago"

Everytime it ran, it was the same output with a longer time that it wasn't updated.  This was working fine before where the status log would be updated usually no longer than 8 seconds ago.  I checked the status.log and status.sav and confirmed that they hadn't updated.  I restarted nagios but I still had the same problem.  Even though none of the partitions were running out of space, I deleted archived logs and restarted nagios but same problem.  I did some more troubleshooting without any luck.  Long story short, I rebooted the RH9 box it was running on and nagios started running again.

Anyone have an idea of what could've happened and things I could check?  This is the first time this has ever happened as far as I know.  The recent changes we made were just setting up one new host to monitor so we edited hosts.cfg, hostgroups.cfg and services.cfg but nagios restarted without error.  I even took out those changes and restarted nagios but still had the same problem.  One thing I noticed was our service-perfdata.out is 790 MB.  Can I delete this and nagios will create a new one?  I'm not sure it's the problem since it's still that big and nagios is running now but it doesn't seem like I want that file to get that big.

What kind of maintenance should I be performing on nagios?  We've had it running for over a year and we haven't really did any kind of cleanup on it.

Your help to this newbie would be greatly appreciated.

- Rim
Rimbert Rivera
Manager, Information Technology
COMTEX News Network
rrivera at comtex.com
(703) 820-2000
Discover more about COMTEX at: HYPERLINK http://www.comtex.com/ http://www.comtex.com/
This e-mail is intended solely for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged information. Any review, dissemination, copying, printing or other use of this e-mail by persons or entities other than the addressee is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please contact the sender immediately and delete the material from any computer.