Nagios just stopped running

Stephan Janosch stephan.janosch at interface-business.de
Wed Jan 5 09:44:31 CET 2005

Rimbert Rivera wrote:
> I have a cron job that runs the check_nagios plugin and e-mails us the
> output.  Earlier today, we started getting:
> "Nagios problem: located 3 processes, status log updated 1565 seconds ago"
>
> Everytime it ran, it was the same output with a longer time that it
> wasn't updated.  This was working fine before where the status log would
> be updated usually no longer than 8 seconds ago.  I checked the
> status.log and status.sav and confirmed that they hadn't updated.  I
> restarted nagios but I still had the same problem.  Even though none of
> the partitions were running out of space, I deleted archived logs and
> restarted nagios but same problem.  I did some more troubleshooting
> without any luck.  Long story short, I rebooted the RH9 box it was
> running on and nagios started running again.
>
> Anyone have an idea of what could've happened and things I could check?
> This is the first time this has ever happened as far as I know.  The
> recent changes we made were just setting up one new host to monitor so
> we edited hosts.cfg, hostgroups.cfg and services.cfg but nagios
> restarted without error.  I even took out those changes and restarted
> nagios but still had the same problem.  One thing I noticed was our
> service-perfdata.out is 790 MB.  Can I delete this and nagios will
> create a new one?  I'm not sure it's the problem since it's still that
> big and nagios is running now but it doesn't seem like I want that file
> to get that big.

To your service-perfdata.out. If you don't need any performance data,
you can switch perfmormance data logging of. Depending on your
performance command definition, you can simply delete it. I don't know,
if you have changed that command. Look into misccomands.cfg, there it is
located by standard.

> What kind of maintenance should I be performing on nagios?  We've had it
> running for over a year and we haven't really did any kind of cleanup on it.
>
> Your help to this newbie would be greatly appreciated.

Stephan