Random Down times?

Demetri Mouratis dmourati at cm.math.uiuc.edu
Fri Feb 18 07:41:32 CET 2005

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005, Bill Akins wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> Running Nagios 2.0b1 on RHEL3
>
> I have about 160 servers monitored with over 600 services monitored and
> Nagios is working great.  I do have a problem with a pool of Citrix
> servers I monitor.  Through Control-M, machines are rebooted at random
> times (once no users are logged on and certain other conditions are met)
> and then they are added back into the pool.
>
> My question is how can I turn off or delay alerting on unreachable for
> 5 minutes to accommodate the reboot?  I want to know if the machine goes
> away for more than 5 minutes.  I am currently checking for several
> services running on these machines as well as disk space and ping.

Have your citrix servers send a passive service check to your Nagios box
saying to deactivate service checks for that host.  Then have you init
script, or some such on your citrix box turn checks back on once it comes
back up.

That or increase your service check times or retries times to accommodate
a 5 minute outage but not a 10 minute one.
Demetri Mouratis
dmourati at linfactory.com