Random Down times?

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Fri Feb 18 11:14:12 CET 2005

Demetri Mouratis wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Feb 2005, Bill Akins wrote:
>

>>Hi folks,
>>
>>Running Nagios 2.0b1 on RHEL3
>>
>>I have about 160 servers monitored with over 600 services monitored and
>>Nagios is working great.  I do have a problem with a pool of Citrix
>>servers I monitor.  Through Control-M, machines are rebooted at random
>>times (once no users are logged on and certain other conditions are met)
>>and then they are added back into the pool.
>>
>>My question is how can I turn off or delay alerting on unreachable for
>>5 minutes to accommodate the reboot?  I want to know if the machine goes
>>away for more than 5 minutes.  I am currently checking for several
>>services running on these machines as well as disk space and ping.
>

> Have your citrix servers send a passive service check to your Nagios box
> saying to deactivate service checks for that host.  Then have you init
> script, or some such on your citrix box turn checks back on once it comes
> back up.

This is a good idea, and not terribly cumbersome to implement.

> That or increase your service check times or retries times to accommodate
> a 5 minute outage but not a 10 minute one.

This won't work. Nagios will start checking host status upon soft
service states and do ALL host checks in serial until it gets a good
response or runs out of max_check_attempts, meaning this idea would
effectively DOS your nagios every time a machine reboots for
(hostobject)max_check_attempts * hostcheck_timeout seconds.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer