Upgrading from Nagios 1.3 to 2.0 (or newer)

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Thu Feb 17 15:30:48 CET 2005

Anders Christensen wrote:
> What do I need to consider before upgradering my Nagios server ?

Make sure you can back it up and restore the running copy exactly as it was.

> Can I use my previous configuration files (services.cfg, host.cfg etc
> etc)

No. You will need to make a couple of changes. The tools at
http://oss.op5.se/nagios are useful. Esp. object_config_fix.php and
12to20comments.php (although they require that you have the command line
version of php installed).

> Or is it better to install Nagios 2.0 (2.0b2) on a different server, and
> thereby creating af new installation, and then importing the
> configuration files.

This is always the preferrable approach for upgrading/testing, so if you
have the opportunity, please go ahead.

> can anyone tell me the difference between the configuration files ? All
> i can find about this, is that i should be easier to administre, but I
> can see the major difference.

contact_groups are moved from hostgroup to host object definition. A
couple of nagios.cfg arguments are removed (and some other added,
although not necessary for runtime operations). hostgroup-escalations
doesn't exist any more, since hostgroup_name can be used in (almost)
every host-referencing object.

> Is there a new nsclient, or is it still using the nsclient from
> http://nsclient.ready2run.nl/

Funny you should ask. There has been an absolute explosion in nsclient
replacement development (comparatively, that is) lately.
Michael Medin has a C++-based modularized version which I believe isn't
available for download, although it seems highly interesting (I've read
the man's code before, and he knows what he's doing).
Anthony Montibello has developed the .NET-based NC_Net which has some
cool features, although it isn't very compatible with NT4-based
platforms and eats an obscene amount of memory (last time I checked).

My thoughts on the two is that Anthony's code isn't so well-planned
(security-wise, although I'm sure he disagrees with me), but  has more
features, while Michael has implemented a more stable ground but doesn't
support as many functions yet.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer