Notification issues

Wilmot, Doug DWilmot at tngus.com
Tue Feb 15 17:53:14 CET 2005

Hello,

            My company is currently running Nagios 1.2 and we seem to be
having some notification problems. One of the most frequent problems is a
host down alert "plug-in timed out after 10 seconds". Then Nagios sends an
email alert which is becoming very redundant and making us almost "immune"
to these alerts. Meanwhile, we have a second build of Nagios version 2.x
running on a separate node which we are "building from scratch".

 Our goal is to have an alert sent to our helpdesk app (via email) to open a
ticket if a host is down for 5 or more minutes, then another when the host
is back up. We are currently using check_ping for monitoring but I have
heard some people use check_icmp. Which one would be better for us and what
are the differences?  Should we be using escalations to achieve this 5
minute delay? We have tried the rtfm approach and quite frankly I feel like
I am spinning wheels here. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Doug Wilmot