Notification issues

Subhendu Ghosh sghosh at sghosh.org
Tue Feb 15 18:41:28 CET 2005

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005, Wilmot, Doug wrote:

> Hello,
>            My company is currently running Nagios 1.2 and we seem to be
> having some notification problems. One of the most frequent problems is a
> host down alert "plug-in timed out after 10 seconds". Then Nagios sends an
> email alert which is becoming very redundant and making us almost "immune"
> to these alerts. Meanwhile, we have a second build of Nagios version 2.x
> running on a separate node which we are "building from scratch".
>
> Our goal is to have an alert sent to our helpdesk app (via email) to open a
> ticket if a host is down for 5 or more minutes, then another when the host
> is back up. We are currently using check_ping for monitoring but I have
> heard some people use check_icmp. Which one would be better for us and what
> are the differences?  Should we be using escalations to achieve this 5
> minute delay? We have tried the rtfm approach and quite frankly I feel like
> I am spinning wheels here. Any help is greatly appreciated.

You should probably look at why the plugin is timing out.

Nagios expects plugins to return with a value within the values defined
under "timeout" in nagios.cfg.  The defaults are usually 60 seconds for
services and 30 seconds for hosts. For a host check to occur, you must
have had service check failures as well.

Usually a host check can be performed with a single ping  - either
check_ping or check_fping or check_icmp will work.  However you need to
make sure the command definitions is not sending out more packets than
necessasry and that the timeout for packet expiry is less than the plugin
timeout.

For the 5-min delay, you can approximate that 5 check repetitions with a 1
min interval before notification. However, this will block the scheduling
queue if you have a large number of hosts and services. You are better
off, defining a service notification for the host that mimics host down
and limiting the repetition of host checks.

--
-sg