Ntray and HTTP Port redirection

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Wed Feb 16 10:56:18 CET 2005

Christopher Smith wrote:
> Okay folks, you all have been very helpful. I was going to send this
> directly to Robert Wagner, but I figured that I would share the fun. My
> network analyst and I have been using Nagios for about 1 year. We have
> tweaked and extended in in several directions, the latest iteration
> involving the new Treo 650 from Cingular. We have altered the web port
> from port 80 to some alternate port to deter would-be hackers. All works
> well: we can access the web page from the Handheld devices, etc.
>
> The problem is this: on our desktops, we use the new and improved NTray
> utility (a far cry from the original, thanks). However, with the new
> port change, the Ntray does not like it. I have tried adding the address
> to the URL line (http://<some server>:<some port>/nagios/), but to no
> avail.
>
> Any thoughts?

First thought; NTray should support this (as in, the author should have
thought about it). Did you restart it after changing the url?

Second thought;
Relocating http to use another port is a fairly stupid way to stop
culprits (nmap fingerprints, sniffing, whatnot). Running it on a
non-privileged port as a non-privileged user so that it doesn't ever run
as root is a good idea. Add a firewall rule to rewrite incoming requests
on that port to use the new one instead, and a similar on outgoing
requests ofcourse. A google on iptables will tell you (about 2000 times)
how to accomplish this.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer