Complicated Cascading Dependency & Nagios 2.0

Chris Stankaitis chris.stankaitis at datawire.net
Mon Feb 7 21:26:39 CET 2005

Hello all here is my issue which I need some help on.

t1 -> fw-eth0 -> fw-eth1 -> fw-ethX -> box1,2,3

I need to setup a dependency tree for the above, the boxes need to be
depandant on the eth port on the firewall they are plugged into, that
port is dependant on a main ingress port on the fw, which itself is then
depandant the port on the fw which connect to the t1, the uplink port is
depandant on the t1 router.

so if the t1 proper goes down nothing behind it will page, we'll only
get a single page for the t1, as well if any of the eth's inbetween go
down we'll have appropiate pages, here is a bit of a curve though...
anything behing the eth0 on the firewall is being monitored passively,
and sent via NSCA to an external Nagios box, using active host/service
checks.

here is the current config:

define servicedependency{
         host_name                       t1-router
         service_description             PING
         dependent_host_name             fw-eth0
         dependent_service_description   *
         execution_failure_criteria      n
         notification_failure_criteria   u,c
         }

define servicedependency{
         host_name                       fw-eth0
         service_description             PING
         dependent_host_name             fw-eth1
         dependent_service_description   *
         execution_failure_criteria      n
         notification_failure_criteria   u,c
         }

define servicedependency{
         host_name                       fw-eth1
         service_description             PING
         dependent_host_name             fw-eth2,fw-eth5,fw-eth8,fw-eth9
         dependent_service_description   *
         execution_failure_criteria      n
         notification_failure_criteria   u,c
         }

define servicedependency{
         host_name                       fw-eth2
         service_description             PING
         dependent_host_name             box1,box2,box3,box4,box5
         dependent_service_description   *
         execution_failure_criteria      n
         notification_failure_criteria   u,c
         }

I have freshness checking set on, and my "not-fresh" script will put the
serivce into an UNKNOWN state if it hasn't gotten passive info in X mins.

what I need in short is..

when ethX behind the fw goes into Unknown for PING the host needs to go
down and be treaded as a network outage, and supress the notification
for everything behind it which is dependant on, what I get now is ethX
goes into unknown and the host is up and happy when it is not.

I am also not 100% clear in the docs about the proper usage of the
"inherits_parent" config directive, I am probally reading it wrong but
it seems like a redundant config option to me, (now saying that I KNOW I
am using it wrong) if fw-eth1 goes down then by proxy since eth2 is
confged as a dependant of it, and box2 is configed as a dependant of
eth2 wouldn't everything behind eth1 not notify based on a cascading
dependency, and not require the inherits_parent config option??

Thanks for reading this novel.

--Chris