Odd "RESTART" service check problem................

Emmett Hogan EmmettH at Examen.com
Mon Feb 7 20:54:54 CET 2005

Hi Folks,

We had an odd problem this weekend, and I am wondering if anyone else
has seen the same thing.

We are running Nagios v2.0b1 on a Debian box.

We had to take a bunch of machines down, so we turned off all service
and host checks...from the logs:

[02-06-2005 19:40:45] EXTERNAL COMMAND: STOP_EXECUTING_HOST_CHECKS;
[02-06-2005 19:39:57] EXTERNAL COMMAND: STOP_EXECUTING_SVC_CHECKS;

After the maintenance was done, we restarted host and service checks:

[02-06-2005 22:13:45] EXTERNAL COMMAND: START_EXECUTING_HOST_CHECKS;
[02-06-2005 22:13:45] EXTERNAL COMMAND: START_EXECUTING_SVC_CHECKS;

As luck would have it, we had a server problem later that night which
Nagios failed to catch with a simple "http_check".

So........I went back through the web server logs looking for the nagios
checks (we have two going to the same machine checking two different
backend services).  One of the services was being checked just fine, but
the other (of course the one that later went down) was not being checked
at all AFTER the restart of svc checks!  Once I restarted the Nagios
process the checks started happening again.

Needless to say, we are wondering what other services were not being
checked.

Has anyone else experienced this? Where seemingly random services are
not getting checked after a "START_EXECUTING_SVC_CHECKS" command?

Thanks,
-Emmett

--
================ Examen, Inc. ================
Emmett Hogan
emmetth at examen.com
==== Outside Counsel Management Solutions ====

CONFIDENTIAL -  PRIVILEGED INFORMATION
This e-mail may include confidential, trade secret or legally
privileged information.  If you are not the intended recipient,
please do not read, copy, use, distribute or disclose this
communication to anyone other than the intended recipient. Please
notify the sender of any error in transmission or delivery and
delete any misdirected e-mail from your system.